Saturday, September 26, 2009

Critical Mass

"Yeah Bike" is the slogan of the critical mass bike ride I went on last night!

I'm guessing over 300 people at the last friday of each month gather at the LSU clock tower to ride bikes to a set location. The purpose of these monthly Bike Rides (which happen ALL over america in MANY cities AT the same time) is to show the city and its residence a need and concern for Bike Riders.

There were so many different types of people there, from hippie looking all the way to families with kids. It is reallly cool to see all of these people band together and ride down major roads and bring about awareness.

Here is a small part of the group of Bikers getting ready to head out!

Off WE go!

We take up the whole right lane of the road, our goal is to not let there be any gaps. Otherwise cars will get it...not good!

people wave at us...i felt like I was in a parade!

EVERYONE really looks out for each other, these bikers are doing something called "corking" where you block off traffic at intersections so that the whole parade of us bikers get through the intersection. People usually honk their horns...but when they do everyone just cheers!

we made it to our location after about an hour, we hung out here, got stuff to eat...then turned around and went back!

I think I was smiling the whole time. I absolutely LOVED this event...this group does ALOT each month like bike rides to farmers markets, scavenger hunts, bike polo, girl only bike rides, etc. I have my calendar and can NOT wait to start taking more students with me to these events!!